Sunday, January 8, 2012

Beneath the Ice Moon

We have a strong history of moon names for our dogs.  Our foundation, CH Clarenjoy's Eva My Blue Moon CD CGC, was born in June of 1996, the month of a blue moon, for which she was named.  From puppyhood on, I would sit outside with her at night to look at the moon and stars, and those moments remain my most treasured memories of her.  In Eva's honor, I blended the word yahto (blue) and the name Amaris (child of the moon) to create my kennel name--Yahtaris.

The full moon each month carries a variety of cultural names, and January's is no exception: Old Moon, Wolf Moon, Moon After Yule, Winter Moon, Holiday Moon, Cold Moon, Cooking Moon.  A personal favorite of mine is the Dakota-Sioux name: Moon of the Terrible!  (This conjures up images of Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are for me for some reason, which makes me laugh.

This week our next puppy is due in Chicago, and we are going back to our roots with another puppy from Joyce Krueger at Clarenjoy.  Since the litter theme is "Ice," how wonderful that, in the Neo-Pagan tradition, the January full moon--which is rising as I type--is the Full Ice Moon.

So, we have settled on the call name Apolo (after the short-track Olympic speed skater, Apolo Anton Ohno.)  And the registered name...

Clarenjoy Yahtaris Ice Moon Rising

Tonight's Ice Moon!  Moon photography isn't my forte, but it works!
 We can't wait to welcome this new life into our home!  :)

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I had wondered where your kennel name had originated... now I know! Back in Feb 2002, I debated on whether to name Bode after Bode Miller or Apolo after Anton Ohno... You can see which name won for me! I look forward to watching your Apolo grow up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I think of your sweet Bode, I can't help but think he must have been a party animal at heart. ;) Because the man on skis sure is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jess! I can't wait to hear all about your new puppy! Pat Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classy, as usual, Jess. I talked to my students about the Ice Moon today and told them not to miss it. I asked if any had an idea what the Ice Moon was, and after many guesses, one sophomore said, "Is it the full moon of January?" I almost fell over. I asked, "How did you know that?" He said he knew sometimes they were named, so he guessed. Cool! I will show them your Ice Moon picture tomorrow.
    Mom from PHS 117.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I managed to get the Ice Moon picture on my Desktop. Students know I change the background often, so they always wonder what will come up next when I turn on my overhead projector.
    Mom from PHS 117

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moon was amazing last night! I am looking forward to being able to share it with Apolo for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet...looking forward to reading about your new "journey" with Apolo.

    ReplyDelete